Good nutrition is an essential part of The 100 Year Lifestyle. Using a variety of resources, ranging from dietary counseling, healthy weight-loss strategies, educational workshops, and supplementation, we will help you and your family maximize your health through good nutrition.
One of the biggest misconceptions people have today is that they shouldn’t have to take supplements. They believe they should be able to get all of their vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, essential fatty acids and good bacteria from their foods. What they don’t understand is people today are dealing with a lot more environmental stressors such as pollution, pesticides, agricultural toxins, in home toxins, etc. We are also currently exposed to more bad food choices in grocery stores. Another thing that we must take into account is what these nutrient deficiencies will do to our children. These nutrient deficiencies create genetic issues that will eventually get passed down from generation to generation creating more disease. So basically, if we don’t see the symptoms of a nutrient deficiency our children will.
By the time a patient comes to see me for the first time they have allowed their body to get to such a state that they may be experiencing uncomfortable symptoms. Or they may have no symptoms but you can see through blood work they have many dysfunctions occurring in their body. Generally, it’s taken years for their bodies to reach this breaking point and they must understand that it’s going to take many months if not years to correct these issues.
Natural supplements can help to restore the body to a place of balance. But, it’s going to take more than one thing or even two. It may take up to 5 supplements if the condition is serious.
But what I really want to discuss is why we need to take supplements at all. Most people who aren’t in a health crisis wonder why they need to take supplements they’ll say “I feel fine why do I need to take anything”.
So here are the top 6 reasons why it’s important to take supplements:
- Depleted Soils: Even if you eat healthily, chances are good unless you’re consuming everything organic the food comes from the soil that has insufficient mineral content. When foods are grown over and over again in the same soils the mineral content of that soil becomes depleted over time. This is another reason why it’s important to consume as many organic foods as possible. Organic farming practices include crop rotation so the soil depletion occurs less. Although organic soils can get depleted buying organic remains better, there are less agricultural toxins. The agricultural toxins can deplete the body of nutrients and cause serious these functions in the body.
- Long Transit Time For Delivery: Have you noticed an increasing amount of product finding its way to your grocery stores from other countries? if you think your favourite fruit or vegetable was just at its peak ripeness now then immediately boxed rushed to the airport and shipped overnight to your favourite grocery store, you are sadly mistaken. Sometimes foods are picked weeks and even months before we see it on our shelves. So much for attending the maximum amount of nutrition! I suggest that my patients by as much of their food as possible from local growers to reduce transit time and improve in the nutritional value of the food they’re eating.
- Overcooking Our Foods: Most people have a bad habit of cooking our food to “death” resulting in a massive loss of nutritional value meaning far fewer vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and enzymes to go around.
- Not Eating Regular Meals: Many people skip meals. Grabbing a bagel or donut while slamming down some coffee and rushing to work does not constitute a meal. Making up for it later in the day at an all-you-can-eat buffet is not in the best interest of our bodies either, as it puts much undue stress on the digestive system and will eventually cause a lot of uncomfortable symptoms.
- Normal Aging = Digestive Issues: As we age our bodies produces fewer enzymes including all the important ones needed to properly digest and assimilate the foods we eat, eventually this results in common stomach complaints like reflux heartburn upset stomach and chronic constipation.
- Stress + Stress + Stress = Compromised Immune System: Today we all lead busy lives and some of us are busier than others! Between commitments to our family, school, work, community, faith, and other obligations, our lives are stressed to the max! All of this stress takes a toll on your body and weakens your immune system. Taking the right supplements can help to bridge the gap and give your body some of the nutrition it needs to function optimally.
Of course, nothing will take the place of eating a good and healthy diet, such as the one we prescribe called Healthy and Active. But, taking quality natural supplements can go a long way towards helping you maintain a better level with health. Besides, if you’re still working through some bad habits such as skipping meals and not eating organic foods you need them even more.
- We are pleased to partner with Health Wave to provide you a virtual dispensary of top quality vitamins and supplements. After creating an account you will be able to browse through hundreds of supplements from top quality companies such as Douglas Labs, Designs for Health, etc.
- We also recommend ChiroThin