Age is inevitable, but you can age gracefully. We all have the power to manage our aging process. It begins with discovery – asking questions and getting the real answers to your specific health concerns. Consulting with the right hormone doctor and requesting a thorough set of diagnostics that establishes your personal hormonal, metabolic and physical baseline. The doctor needs to uncover your health strengths and weakest health links.
- Are you tired?
- Have you lost your edge and your sense of vitality?
- Are you a competitive sports person? Need more energy & faster recovery time?
- Does sex feel like work, or maybe your sex life is nonexistent?
Then you could have a medical condition called Low Testosterone. Many men who go on Human Identical Testosterone Therapy say they feel younger, more vigorous, and the best they have felt in years!
Beginning around the age of 30, hormones start to drop by 1% to 3% each year, contributing to a litany of symptoms and a slow, steady deterioration in health. Opting for healthier lifestyle choices and restoring hormone balance helps hormone-deficient adults regain a balanced, healthy endocrinologic state so their bodies function optimally. The medical science now shows that Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT) gives you the disease protection for Alzheimer’s, dementia, diabetes, and cancer.
It is essential to add pharmaceutical grade (professional line, USP) vitamins, antioxidants, essential fatty acids, and minerals to your daily health routine to help correct nutrient deficiencies commonly found in today’s environments and diets.
Studies show those who pursue a more active lifestyle which includes daily exercise, and a healthy diet shows higher hormone levels. When hormone levels in men & women decline, we see hair loss, weight gain in the stomach and chest area, and loss of interest in life’s daily activities. As their weight increases, hormones are stored in fat and become unavailable to meet the body’s demands. Lack of exercise, excessive alcohol use, and many diseases can reduce bioavailable hormone levels. For optimal results, it is vital that bioidentical (natural/human identical) hormone replacement therapy be combined with blood or saliva testing, adequate exercise, proper nutrition, and appropriate use of natural supplements.
Age Management Medicine and Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT) stand at the forefront of 21st-century medicine, incorporating proactive, preventive protocols that optimize health, restore endocrine balance, delay the indicators of aging and prevent premature disability and death. As a result, patients enjoy a higher quality of life, less disease, enhanced sense of well-being and a longer healthspan.
Symptoms of Peri-Menopause and Menopause in Women and Andropause – The ‘Male Menopause”
- Low Sex Drive
- Dry skin
- Hot Flashes, Night Sweats
- Vaginal Dryness
- Reduced Muscle Mass
- Disturbed Sleep
- Heart Disease
- Erectile Dysfunction
- Weight Gain
- Low Strength
- Slow Wound Healing
- Low Sperm Counts
- Memory Impairment
- Impaired Blood Cell Formation
Numerous changes are associated with an age-related decline in the hormone testosterone, which is classified as an androgen. Some men may go through a rather sudden change in testosterone levels that might correlate with the hormonal changes women experience at menopause. However, most men have a slower and more subtle hormonal decline and develop symptoms over a period of time. Symptoms of testosterone deficiency are often attributed to other problems, denial by the patient, and unrecognized by healthcare professionals.
When hormones are replaced or restored back to physiologic levels considered normal for younger males, men may experience a dramatic reversal of many of the changes listed above.
As a result, you experience a new definition of aging:
- Youthful Energy
- Improved Libido
- Lean Muscle Mass
- Reduced Body Fat
- Sharper Thinking
- Stronger Immune System
- An Ability to Manage Stress
- A Vibrant Life & Well Being
Q: Why should I use BHRT?
- A: Bioidentical hormone therapy is a precise therapy that can accurately diagnose hormone imbalances and naturally restore the body to optimal functioning.
Q: Lab testing – we offer leading laboratory technology using noninvasive SALIVA samples or blood samples. What is the difference between saliva testing and serum (blood) testing?
- A: Saliva testing is a noninvasive and more accurate method for measuring active hormones in the body. Traditional blood tests are often an inaccurate measure for hormonal dysfunction in the body. Unless there is an extreme pathology, it is unlikely that hormone levels (thyroid, adrenal, estrogen/progesterone/testosterone) will show an imbalance- even when they are suboptimal.
- Far too often women and men complain of feeling unwell despite having perfect or normal blood tests. Although having normal hormonal blood tests is reassuring that there is not a more serious pathology underlying the symptoms, it does not help in the assessment of why an individual feels so unwell.
- Salivary tests measure “free” hormones (2-5% of the hormones in a person’s body), which are the hormones that are available to go to work for you – stimulating receptor cells and carrying out the tasks they are designed to perform. In contrast, serum testing generally measures the “total” hormones, which includes those hormones already bound to protein and unavailable for your cells to use.
Q: Are there any clinical studies that support the use of saliva testing?
- A: Yes. We carry a binder at the front reception that provides copies of various well-known studies, which can be photocopied and read.
Q: How do I order a saliva or blood hormone test?
- A: At the time of your first appointment with Dr. Dupuis, you will be given a lab test requisition form for specified salivary or blood tests. If your clinician requests a salivary test, there will be a saliva test “kit” to take home with you, which you will send to the lab to be tested.
- Mail–Monday to Thursday- Not on a Friday because the specimen will sit all weekend and spoil.
- You will have either blood or saliva testing is done to evaluate your hormone levels. This will depend on your symptoms and medical history.
Q: Will insurance or OHIP cover my lab tests?
- A: Blood lab tests – for hormone evaluation are covered by OHIP. You will receive a blood lab requisition form from our inhouse MD via email. Please print off the form and take the copy + your OHIP card to the lab for your blood draw.
- ***Blood tests are our preferred lab test.
- Saliva lab tests – Once you receive your saliva hormone kit, you will pay for the testing at that time (prices range from $225- $450). After 2 weeks from the date of mailing, New Life Integrative Health Centre will receive the results which can be discussed with you.
- The patient may submit their own receipts to their insurance company directly if they wish to. Some insurance companies may cover the BHRT prescriptions.
Q: How soon will my lab test results be ready?
- A: Results take approximately 7 to 10 days from the time the lab receives your specimen/samples. Lab results will be sent directly to New Life Integrative Health Centre, at which time you will book a follow-up appointment with your doctor to go over results and suggestions for your customized BHRT prescription therapy.
Q: How does Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement Therapy benefit me in the future?
- A: BHRT will help you feel like yourself again, even through the ups and downs of hormonal change.
- FOR WOMEN – BHRT will decrease hot flashes, night sweats, anxiety, insomnia and will improve energy, memory and libido, and weight management.
- FOR MEN – BHRT will increase your muscle mass, memory, stamina, energy, and libido.
- We teach disease prevention and show you how to increase your quality of life.
- With accurate testing, we can track your hormone levels and optimize them.
- Monitor hormone levels over time so therapy can be adjusted sooner rather than later
Q: What age does the patient have to be to do hormone therapy?
- A: Patients who benefit from BHRT are as young as 16 years old (severe issues with periods), right up to 90 years old. Our hormone levels drop 1 to 3% per year once we hit the age of 30 years old. So it is wise to get tested sooner rather than later, so the doctor can have a baseline measure of where your hormones levels are naturally at.
The clinical program includes baseline hormone measurement of saliva is used to determine a baseline profile of your hormone levels. Estradiol, progesterone, testosterone, DHEA, adrenals and cortisol evaluation is recommended for women; estradiol, testosterone, DHT, DHEA, and cortisol for men. Individual hormone and thyroid testing plus Urine NTx Boneloss Assessment are also available.]
- HOW TO ACHIEVE HEALTHY AGING. Why Everyone Should Replace Hormones & The Medical Literature (2nd Edition). By Neal Rouzier, MD | WorldLink Medical
- DON’T LET YOUR DOCTOR KILL YOU: HOW TO BEAT PHYSICIAN ARROGANCE. Corporate Greed and a Broken System. By Dr. Erika Schwartz MD (Author) with Melissa Jo Peltier
- TESTOSTERONE FOR LIFE: WHY MEN FAKE IT. The Totally Unexpected Truth About Men and Sex. By Abraham Morgentaler, MD
- SEXY FOREVER; BREAKTHROUGH: 8 STEPS TO WELLNESS; AGELESS. The Naked Truth About Bio-Identical Hormones. By Suzanne Somers
- I’M TOO YOUNG FOR THIS! The Natural Hormone Solution to Enjoy Perimenopause. By Suzanne Somers & Prudence Hall M.D.